Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is the tetrafluoroethene polymer.
It is usually known through its commercial denominations Teflon, where other polymeric stabilizers and fluids are added to the polymer to improve its application possibilities. It is a tactile, high temperature resistant plastic (up to 200 ° C and above), used in the industry to cover high temperature surfaces requiring “non-stick” and good chemical inertia.
- Very low friction coefficient: it is virtually a solid state lubricant and is anti-adhesive.
- Is inert to virtually all known chemical reagents.
- PTFE is insoluble in any solvent at temperatures up to 300 ° C. Only at temperatures close to the crystalline melting point some highly fluorinated oils may swell and melt.
- Excellent resistance to both low and high temperatures, up to 260 ° C.
- Excellent resistance to atmospheric agents and U.V. rays
- PTFE has a low thermal transfer coefficient and is therefore to be considered a thermal insulator.
- It is not flammable and is stable for indefinite periods of time up to 260 ° C.
- Excellent dielectric quality in a wide range of temperatures and frequencies. As the water absorption is virtually nil, the characteristics remain unchanged even after prolonged exposure to atmospheric agents.
- Great bulk density.
- Suitable for food contact and drinking water with various certifications.
- Poor mechanical resistances, the material deforms only for its own weight
- Poor wear resistance
- Anisotropic material with limited working stability characteristics.
- Low radiation-resistant material, which degrades molecular bonds.
- The gas permeability depends on the processing techniques, the quality of the raw materials as well as thickness and pressure.
Mechanical: the low coefficient of friction makes it usable for bearings provided they bear a low load
Chemical: typical of fluoride polymers is the very high chemical resistance to acids and alkalis. It is used for components in the petrochemical and chemical industry
Food: physiologically inert is approved for use in food contact by some bodies while in some countries it is questioned the possible use in contact with food
Electrical: excellent dielectric characteristics, self-extinguishing and weatherproof stability make it increasingly use in this industry
See the file for technical specifications